For detailed information about this series, see: Ninja Gaiden Wiki
Ninja Gaiden, originally known as Ninja Ryukenden (lit. Ninja Dragon Sword Legend) in Japan, is a video game series by Tecmo. The franchise started out as a series of 2D sidescrolling platform games from 1988 to 1995, and it was later revived in 2004 as a series of third person hack-and-slash games by Team Ninja.
- Ninja Gaiden (October 1988). Arcade. Later released on Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Atari Lynx, Amiga, Commodore 64, PC and ZX-Spectrum. Re-released in 2009 for Wii Virtual Console.
- Ninja Gaiden (December 9, 1988). NES. Later released on PC-Engine. Re-released in 2007 for Wii Virtual Console, 2013 for 3DS Virtual Console and 2014 for Wii U Virtual Console. Also enclosed in the NES Classic Edition.
- Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (April 6, 1990). NES. Later released on Amiga and PC. Re-released in 2007 for Wii Virtual Console and 2013 for 3DS Virtual Console.
- Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (June 21, 1991). NES. Later released on Atari Lynx and adapted into a LCD game by Tiger Electronics. Re-released in 2008 for Wii Virtual Console and 2013 for 3DS Virtual Console.
- Ninja Gaiden (November 1, 1991). Sega Game Gear.
- Ninja Gaiden Shadow (December 13, 1991). Game Boy.
- Ninja Gaiden (1992). Sega Master System.
- Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (August 10, 1995). SNES. An upgraded compilation of the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy.
- Ninja Gaiden X (2003). Mobile phones.
- Ninja Gaiden (March 2, 2004). Xbox.
- Ninja Gaiden Black (September 20, 2005). An updated version for Xbox.
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma (June 14, 2007). Another updated version for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.
- Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (March 20, 2008). Nintendo DS.
- Ninja Gaiden II (June 03, 2008). Xbox 360.
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (September 29, 2009). An updated version for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.
- Ninja Gaiden 3 (March 20, 2012). PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (November 10, 2012). An updated version for Wii U. Later released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- Ninja Gaiden Clans (September 20, 2012). Android and iOS.
- Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (March 27, 2014). PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
- Ninja Ryukenden (1991). An OVA anime, serving as a sequel to Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos.
- Ninja Gaiden (1990). A novelization of the NES game published by Scholastic, part of the "Worlds of Power" label.
- The Vampire War. A digital comic book released (and serving as prologue) to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.
- Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (2014). A comic book prequel to the game, published by Dark Horse Comics.
Links to other series
|Tecmo Bowl||February 1989||There is an ad for Ninja Gaiden in the scoreboard from the NES port of Tecmo Bowl.||2
|Shadow of the Ninja||December 13, 1991||Ninja Gaiden Shadow was originally developed as a game in the Shadow of the Ninja series.||3
|Dead or Alive||November 1996||Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is a recurring character in the Dead or Alive series, while Muramasa appears in Dead or Alive 4 and 5, Irene Lew appears in Dead or Alive Dimensions, and Momiji and Rachel appear in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. Ayane is a recurring character in the modern Ninja Gaiden series, Kasumi is selectable in Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge and several characters from Dead or Alive appear as cards in Ninja Gaiden Clans.||1
|GameCenter CX||February 22, 2006||Arino plays the NES Ninja Gaiden in Episode 29 of GameCenter CX, and the NES Ninja Gaiden II in Episodes 96 and 97. The "Haggleman" fictional video games within Retro Game Challenge for the GBA are inspired in the classic Ninja Gaiden series.||2
|Halo||September 15, 2007||In Halo 3 there is an armor called the "Hayabusa Powered Assault Armor" named after Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, together with an unlockable replica of Ryu's Dragon Sword.||3
|Super Swing Golf||November 29, 2007||Ryu Hayabusa's costume is an unlockable outfit in Super Swing Golf: Season 2.||2
|Warriors (Koei)||February 26, 2009||Ryu Hayabusa and Momiji from Ninja Gaiden are guest characters in Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, and Ryu is playable in Dynasty Warriors Vs., while Ryu, Momiji and Rachel are playable in Warriors Orochi 3 and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and Ryu and Ayane are playable in Warriors All-Stars. Ryu's costume is also available as DLC in Dynasty Warriors Online and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 features four costumes from Warriors characters.||1
|3D Dot Game Heroes||November 05, 2009||3D Dot Game Heroes features loading screens based on Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II.||3
|Angry Video Game Nerd||February 04, 2010||The eighty-seventh episode of The Angry Video Game Nerd is a review of Ninja Gaiden.||2
|August 31, 2010||Metroid: Other M features an unused stage models in from Ninja Gaiden II.|
|Super Meat Boy||October 20, 2010||The World 4 intro in Super Meat Boy is a parody of the intro from the NES Ninja Gaiden.||3
|Mighty No. 9||March 27, 2014||A skin of Beck from Mighty No. 9 is selectable in Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.||2
|Nuigulumar Z||March 27, 2014||A skin of Nuigulumar is selectable in Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.||2|